Τρίτη, Μαρτίου 20, 2007
4 years of War In Iraq
(plus 6,5 years of War In Afghanistan)
Who would have guessed that this atrocity would last this long...
Killing in the name of God. A sorry excuse for torturing mankind since the dawn of religion. Looks like mankind isn't making any progress in the field of ethics... Here's a century-old poem that might as well have been written today.
These verses tear my heart every time I read them, even though I am not a Christian... But what about the vultures in charge, who claim to go with God? What would they feel, if anything?
Chances are I'm a better Christian than them, after all...
Tero
Killing in the name of God. A sorry excuse for torturing mankind since the dawn of religion. Looks like mankind isn't making any progress in the field of ethics... Here's a century-old poem that might as well have been written today.
THE UNPARDONABLE SIN
This is the sin against the Holy Ghost:
To speak of bloody power as right divine,
And call on God to guard each vile chief's house,
And for such chiefs, turn men to wolves and swine.
To go forth killing in White Mercy's name,
Making the trenches stink with spattered brains,
Tearing the nerves and arteries apart,
Sowing with flesh the unreaped golden plains.
In any church's name, to sack fair towns,
And turn each home into a screaming sty,
To make the little children fugitive,
And have their mothers for a quick death cry.
This is the sin against the Holy Ghost:
This is the sin no purging can atone:
To send forth rapine in the name of Christ:
To set the face and make the heart a stone.Vachel Lindsay (1879 - 1931)
These verses tear my heart every time I read them, even though I am not a Christian... But what about the vultures in charge, who claim to go with God? What would they feel, if anything?
Chances are I'm a better Christian than them, after all...
Tero



